Sunday, July 31, 2011

Countryside Wine & Food




So "Roberto" picked the four of us up at 9am for our day in the countryside. We started with a stop at the Colosseum - which was built actually by one family. From there we went to visit a catacomb. Quite fascinating - but given my history the fact that I was walking past the remains of many Popes I was expecting a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows moment. Bill said he came really close to just poking from behind when I wasn't expecting it but thought better of it. Ray said it would have been the scream heard round the world! Anyway, still fascinating history.

Then we went to an Italian village which was just lovely. It was around a lake that was from a dead volcano. It truly was Italian countryside at it's finest. Great pastry and open air markets. We sampled lots of things Strawberry. Their strawberries are more like the size of our raspberries, even though they taste like our strawberries.


Ended up at Antico Ristorante Pagnanelli which is immediately adjacent to the Pope's summer palace. He was there - didn't stop by for lunch though. Oh well.



We had a wine tasting of local wines from the region as part of lunch which was wonderful. I've gotten in this horrible habit of trying whatever Carbonara they have on their menu. I have now had Carbonara three times - all three very different and all three very good. Is it possible to get addicted to Carbonara? I guess I'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment